January 09, 2016

What if... I knew the secret to a happy life.

" It's better to regret what you did,
than to forever live with the what if. "

Such an innocent sentence. Spoken, during class, by a girl of maybe sixteen. I bet you did not imagine the effect your words would come to have on me. I bet you did not think that I from that point on would live my life according to them. And that I never in my life again would feel regret. That is quite an effect to have on a person. And that is quite the gift. 

You knew he was what he was. And you told me all about it. But you did not try to prevent or protect me. Instead, you offered me the chance to live. He was my life's first potential regret - until your words hit me - and he became my life's first rebellion against myself. Against the cautiousness I had lived with. My dear, during class, in a whispering voice, you gave me the gift of looking back at my life. From then on, I knew the only thing I would ever regret would be leaving a trail of what if 's behind me. That the only mistakes I could ever make would be not daring. Leaving things undone.

So when I was about sixteen years old, I found the source to a fulfilling life. It's in the ability to see the good and the bad as equally right. In the courage that comes with that. It's in not letting the fear of an unknown end result determine the choices we make. That folks, is my little secret to a happy life. And that folks, is what will forever keep us young. 


To Ticke.


xoxo,

Carolina








No comments:

Post a Comment